Belair Park is Southwark’s only Grade II* listed landscape. There are also listed structures within the park -these include the park lodge, entrance gate and an old stable building.
Belair (the house/mansion) was built in 1785 in the style of, or possibly by, the architect Robert Adam. Its grounds included an artificial lake made by damming the River Effra.
The house was damaged in World War II and was later taken over by Southwark Council, which renovated it – for a time it was used for the community for sports changing facilities, a dance/ballet hall, toilets and classes..
It is now used as an upmarket restaurant.